Sunday, December 30, 2007

GLOBAL COMMUNITIES
South Africa
Our Neighbors

I recently visited the incredibly beautiful, yet politically and racially complicated country of South Africa. I was filming a documentary on the journey of the gospel choir of New York’s famed Marble Collegiate Church. There were 55 of us along on a ten-day, whirl-wind concert tour of Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Soweto. Within moments of arriving, it became vividly clear to me, the connection we have as diverse people in the world, people of varying cultures and colors coming together to share food and conversation, music and spirituality, service and commitment.

Every day on this trip, there were moments of real grace that I remain completely humbled by and thoroughly grateful for. My aim was to let my camera capture experiences, but I could not have been prepared for what unfolded. The idyllic beauty of Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula is breath taking with its natural landscape. The Tapologo AIDS Hospice, under the direction of Bishop Kevin Dowling is a safe and nurturing haven for AIDS patients. A small team of managers and trained staff are committed to providing terribly sick people with a dignified way of dying. The love at Tapologo is palpable and the outreach work they do to educate villagers about HIV/AIDS and its prevention and treatment is remarkable.
FULL FEATURE

No comments: